Failing Upwards

8:02:00 PM

So I haven't posted in a bit. The catch up for last three months is this. I had some great times working for a small vintage business in 2013 and part of this year, but I hit a point where things were getting worse instead of better. Working for someone else's success is tough and requires you to neglect your own. This culminated with a small financial failure in trying to open a shop / office in the New Haven area, as well as an unexpected raise in rent for my own small maxi-pad.

My boyfriend and I lost a small chunk of change by pulling out of a commercial lease last minute. The best way I can explain this scenario, we looked at a space in a not so great neighborhood that claimed to be trying to "rebuild". This was during the height of mountains of snow here in Connecticut. As the snow began to melt, we started seeing things look worse and worse. Then the space we had secured was damaged by another tenant and no one seemed to want to bother to fix anything. So after a few scary days and consulting with a lawyer, we said goodbye money. And goodbye Money Pit. We both believe going through with this space would have ended very badly and even with losing some money, saved ourselves even more loss in the end.

I'd be lying if I said all of these things didn't take a toll on me personally. I felt like I was having a complete life fail. But being the resilient lady that I am, it only took about a month before I had regrouped with a new plan, and let it go. As a human being and small business entity, I am always willing to talk about my failures. I think there is no shame in it. Successful people fail. In fact they fail a lot. The road to awesome is usually paved with lots and lots of oopsies. How can we learn and grow if we're too busy pretending to be perfect?

Moving on and out put me in a whole new perspective. We moved out of New Haven and found a great townhouse apartment in my hometown of Seymour. Honestly, this was the last place I expected to end up. The Valley and I did not part on good terms the last time around. But the apartment was too good to pass up! I now find myself in love with my town's charm. Located in the adorable All American Valley, Seymour is a small town full of great antiquities, beautiful buildings, small businesses, farms, and all kinds blue to white collar locals.

My love of all things vintage is still a constant. So it seemed logical to open a new online Etsy shop showcasing my own vintage collection that I had been quietly hoarding over the past few years. My newest venture is fittingly called Valley Vintage, LLC.

Things are going pretty well so far! I have lots of new projects in the works. Some beautiful pictures coming up that will showcase a collaboration with an old pal of mine as well as handmade and vintage. We've even started scouting out new locations and trying to put our pennies aside in hopes of finding the perfect place to have our own small biz. My dreams, never stop - even if I am.

If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images